Policies and procedures for dangerous goods
We store and transport some dangerous goods, including pressurised containers and hazardous liquids. Can you please provide some insight as to the requirements of the policies and procedures for these?
The nature of the policies and procedures will largely depend on the types of goods you store and transport.
In general terms, you will need to develop a policy outlining the approach the business will take and the procedures for:
- identifying, monitoring and reviewing activities in relation to dangerous goods;
- safe work when handling and transporting dangerous goods;
- providing protective clothing and equipment to required standards;
- training staff about dangerous goods;
- providing safety information, including material safety data sheets, chemical registers, and correct signage for transport and storage of dangerous goods; and
- reporting and investigating incidents or non-compliance.