Home - Do earthmoving equipment operators need a high-risk work licence?
May 30, 2021 on chapter Plant safety

When using earthmoving equipment like front-end loaders for high-risk work, does the operator need a high-risk work licence?

In all jurisdictions, a person must not carry out a class of high-risk work unless they hold a high-risk work licence for that class of high-risk work.

High-risk work includes operating a forklift truck, and certain types of cranes and hoists, and undertaking dogging or rigging work. Depending on the type of equipment used, the type of work may fall into a category of high-risk work and will require a high-risk work licence. Generally, a person who operates a forklift must hold a high-risk work forklift licence. However, the attachments used on certain equipment may impact this requirement.

Notably, in 2012, licences for certain earthmoving equipment, including front-end loaders, were discontinued. As such, high-risk work licences are no longer required for front-end loaders.

For more details about types of high-risk work licence and classes of high-risk work, please refer to your safety regulator’s website and Safe Work Australia’s website: www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/description-high-risk-work-licences.


In your cart



View cart
View Cart