Melbourne bar and restaurant MJR TOM was hit with a financial penalty from WorkSafe Victoria when a kitchen hand lost three of his fingers and part of his thumb in an electric meat mincer.
The worker was told to mince figs using the mixer, which had had its guard removed. He’d done this by hand about 3 or 4 times before, but on this occasion his fingers and thumb became caught in the rotating auger and later had to be amputated.
Americanos Pty Ltd, which operate the establishment, pleaded guilty for failing to inform the employee about the risk of injury from the mincer and instruct him to operate it only with the guard in place, and to always use the plunger and never feed the food by hand.
The company was ordered to pay $22,200 in fines and costs.